Benefits For Children Transitioning To Adulthood

We're on your side

Assistance With Transitional Disability Planning For Children And Students

Many children with disabilities have unique medical and daily care needs. Government benefits — especially Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid — are often essential for meeting their needs and ensuring a stable standard of living as they enter adulthood. Careful transitional planning is critical during this important phase of their lives.

Both Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid have asset and income limits, and the child’s entitlement may be impacted by family assets and income. However, once a child turns 18, the government will consider only his or her individual income and assets — not those of the parents. Children with disabilities who could not qualify for benefits while under age 18 may therefore be entitled to receive substantial disability benefits as adults.

The Importance Of Planning Ahead

If you have a child with disabilities who will soon turn 18, you can take important steps now to prepare for this transition. Securing government benefits can be a lengthy and complex process. The sooner you get started, the better.

In Georgia, you can turn to the law firm of Burgess & Christensen for detailed legal guidance. We devote our entire practice to disability law. Our attorneys and staff are well-versed in the nuances of Social Security programs, including Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid. We routinely work with parents of children with disabilities — as well as young adults themselves with disabilities — to identify coverage, navigate eligibility issues and apply for benefits.

At Burgess & Christensen, we are well-positioned to address the many legal needs of children and students with disabilities who are nearing adulthood.

Addressing Other Legal Considerations For Transitioning To Adulthood

Apart from government benefits, many other legal issues can arise when a child with disabilities turns 18. As a parent, you will no longer have legal authority to speak for your child unless you pursue guardianship. Our lawyers can advise you of whether this process is necessary and, if so, we can walk you through it.

We also help parents create special needs trusts to provide long-term financial support for their children — without impacting the child’s eligibility for government benefits.

Free Case Review

We invite you to call our office in Marietta, Georgia, at 833-575-2798 to schedule a free case evaluation. You can also send us an email.